Ask Dr. K.
(and sometimes 'Dr. Bob')
For many years, Dr. Kapuchinksi has written for the SUN Newspaper, Charlotte County, FL. Some of the articles are presented here. The full article is presented in PDF format. If you need the latest free Acrobat Reader for your computer, click here. (Please be sure to read the page and uncheck any additional downloads that Adobe offers that you don't want.)
- Anxiety That Won’t Go Away
- Dear Dr. K., I have had the sudden onset of anxious feeling for the last several months. My doctor says they’re ‘just nerves’. The medicine he gave doesn’t help. What’s up? M.A. Read Dr. K's Response
- A RELATIONSHIP IN THE ABYSS
- Dear Dr. K., After seven years of marriage I have left my wife and what had become a loveless relationship filled only with arguments. Try as I might to make it work, nothing I did was right. I’m torn between going back to her (even though I know it won’t work) and getting on with my life. How do I make the right decision?
Frank Read Dr. K's Response
- A 'HAPPY' MERRY CHRISTMAS LETTER
- Dear Dr. K., Can you recommend something that will help me cope with my receiving those very long ‘additions’ to Christmas cards... I’m happy to hear that things are going well for people, but using a Christmas greeting to ramble on in such self-indulgence really cooks my goose. Ebenezer S., London Read Dr. K's Response
- EVEN COWBOYS GET THE BLUES
- Men can be pretty dumb when it comes to dealing with emotional problems. Nothing should really bother or get to them. If it does, they should handle it on their own. Guys look upon depression as something that really doesn’t happen to them. Therefore, if it doesn’t happen to them, they don’t have it and definitely don’t have to get help. Can’t argue with logic. J.E., Engelwood, FL Read Dr. K's Response
- CAN A “CLEAN FREAK” FIND HAPPINESS?
- Dear Dr. K., I am a "clean freak." I like things spotless. I spend a lot of time cleaning and washing because I’m so concerned about germs. I always check things several times before I can leave the house. My habits take up a lot of time. Yet if I don’t do these things, I get very nervous that something bad is going to happen. Does this mean that I am obsessive compulsive? Mary Beth, WA Read Dr. K's Response
- DEPRESSION THAT DOESN’T GET BETTER
- Dear Dr. K., I’ve had depression that goes back many years. Although I’ve received many hours of counseling and a variety of antidepressants, I haven’t gotten much better. Depression runs in my family. Any suggestions?
Linda, Northport, FL Read Dr. K's Response
- HOW NOT TO FEEL GUILTY ABOUT FEELING GOOD
- Dear Dr. K., I tend to be a people pleaser and put other people’s wants ahead of mine, especially family. Many times, I’ve been taken advantage of but I still do it. If I try to stick up for myself, I feel guilty and selfish yet I know my giving in all the time isn’t healthy for me. What should I do? Lois, Canberra, Australia Read Dr. K's Response
- LEFT LANE DRIVERS
- Dear Dr. K., Can you help me? How do I cope with motorists who insist on driving very slowly in the left lane on a four-lane highway like Interstate 75 or Rte 41? It’s bad enough out of season but now with these slow drivers returned to the area for the winter, it’s only worse. They drive me crazy by not moving to the slower right lane. What can I do? Jonathan, NYC Read Dr. K's Response
- POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION
- Dear Dr. K., My sister had a baby about nine months ago and then became pretty depressed. We all initially thought that this was the ‘baby blues.’ But she has continued to be depressed. Should we be doing something? Is this normal?
M.J. Sumter, SC Read Dr. K's Response
- SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND SELF-MEDICATING
- Addiction comes in many forms. When we want to say we really like something, like chocolate, we might say that we are ‘addicted’ to it. Severe addictions, of course, go well beyond liking something a lot. Read Dr. K's Response
- PALM TREES AND HURRICANE STRESS
- You might ask yourself, “Are his coconuts too loose? Thinking of a palm tree when forced to deal with the overwhelming stress of [the latest weather crisis]?” Think of this: we all need to be like a palm tree in coping with our lives after a storm...
Read Dr. K's Response
- WHICH ANTIDEPRESSANT IS BEST?
- Dear Dr. K., I’ve been depressed for several months and have finally decided to go ahead and take an antidepressant when my doctor offered to prescribe it. My big question for you is about all of the different medications I hear about. Which one is the best? Brian, Long Island, NY Read Dr. K's Response
- Bozo and the A, B, C's of Taking Medication
- Dear Dr. K, I've had low moods in the past. About two months ago, my doctor put me on an antidepressant (Lexapro). I'm feeling good now. So, on my own, I stopped the medication last week. Other reasons for stopping were some sexual side effects and the fact that I just don't like taking medication- especially a 'mental' one which changes who I am. D.A., Minoka Falls, WI Read Dr. K's Response
- MOOD SWINGS AND MANIC DEPRESSION
- Dear Dr. K., I have been moody at times in my life (I'm 30 years old). I can go from being happy to sad very quickly. One of my friends said that I might have manic-depression. Is it possible?
D.M., Port Charlotte, FL Read Dr. K's Response
- CANCER AND DEPRESSION
- Dear Dr. K., I was diagnosed with breast cancer six months ago. I have had surgery and I am now receiving chemotherapy. I have been depressed for the last few months... I have asked my regular doctor for medication but he feels that my depression is “normal” and that I should learn to cope just like ‘everyone else’. What’s your opinion? Lisa, Northport Read Dr. K's Response
- ANTIDEPRESSANTS AND SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS
- Dear Dr. K., His doctor placed my husband on an antidepressant. He feels better but our sex life is now non-existent. It wasn’t so good when he was depressed and I expected that to change with his feeling better. Could it be the medicine?
Brenda, Jersey City, NJ Read Dr. K's Response
- COMFORT FOODS
- Dear Dr. Bob, In these stressful times, are there any more simple things that can slow down the anxiety I’m feeling? When I was a kid, my Mom used to give us kids ‘comfort foods’ that were supposed to calm us down and make us feel better. Is there anything to that? Pete, Los Angeles, CA Read Dr. K's Response
- DOES ANY TEEN NOT HAVE A CELL PHONE?
- Dear Dr. K, My sixteen-year-old teen has a cell and constantly uses it. Despite what appears to be her always in touch with someone, I’m afraid that her using the cell instead of actually talking with a friend is hurting her development. She says I’m crazy and that this is the only way to keep in touch. What do you think?
Confused Mom in St. Petersburg, FL Read Dr. K's Response
- HOW NOT TO BE VULNERABLE
- Dear Dr. K., My friend and I were discussing how sensitive we both can be to things with this sometimes leading to our getting emotionally hurt. My friend’s philosophy is to be ‘tough’ and not let things (or people) get to her. She says she’s happier that way...
Is there any way we can protect ourselves from being vulnerable to the various things life can throw at us? Lindsey M., Tampa, FL Read Dr. K's Response
- PANIC DISORDER
- Dear Dr. K., I’m in my twenties and have always been a bit high-strung. But the other day while I was in line to check out at the grocery, I freaked out. I thought I was going to die. It was so bad, I had to run out of the store. What happened to me? It can’t just be ‘nerves’? Sharon, Arcadia, FL Read Dr. K's Response
- SOCIAL ANXIETY
- Dear Dr. K., I have just started college and have found out that I must take a public speaking class. I get paralyzed with fear just thinking about it. Is there anything I can do? P.M.S., Miami, FL Read Dr. K's Response
- TEENAGERS AND DEPRESSION
- Dear Dr. K., My teenage son isn’t acting like his usual self. How would I know if he’s depressed? Karen, New Orleans, LA Read Dr. K's Response
- THE STIGMA OF EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS
- Dear Dr. K, I’ve been depressed for several weeks. The symptoms are just like they talk about in the TV commercials- I have a lousy mood. I’m not happy. I have no energy and just don’t care. I’m just not me. I told my family that I want to get some help but their attitude is “pull yourself together and snap out of it.”...What do I do?
Carol H., Sarasota, FL Read Dr. K's Response